Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Review: The Body Electric

Info: 
Title: The Body Electric
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Scriptuient Books
Publication Date: October 6, 2014
Source: Purchased.

Synopsis:
The future world is at peace.

Ella Shepherd has dedicated her life to using her unique gift--the ability to enter people's dreams and memories using technology developed by her mother--to help others relive their happy memories.

But not all is at it seems.

Ella starts seeing impossible things--images of her dead father, warnings of who she cannot trust. Her government recruits her to spy on a rebel group, using her ability to experience--and influence--the memories of traitors. But the leader of the rebels claims they used to be in love--even though Ella's never met him before in her life. Which can only mean one thing...

Someone's altered her memory.

Ella's gift is enough to overthrow a corrupt government or crush a growing rebel group. She is the key to stopping a war she didn't even know was happening. But if someone else has been inside Ella's head, she cannot trust her own memories, thoughts, or feelings.

So who can she trust?

Review:
It's been a few days and I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about this book. The concepts introduced are interesting, but they are pretty out there. What I mean is this is some pretty hard-core science fiction, even without spaceships. 

I found the story interesting and engaging and I did want to find out what was going on. Some things I thought were obvious to the reader long before Ella figured them out, but others took me by surprise.

I think my biggest issue was Ella herself. I just couldn't connect with her. I think it was because in the beginning, she fought so hard against what Jack was telling her, even though it was pretty obvious that something didn't add up. 

One thing I really did like were the small references to the Across the Universe series. This is by no means a sequel, but I liked seeing the little hints that let us know that this takes place in the same universe.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, but I feel pretty neutral about it. I will still read anything Beth Revis puts out though!


Find the Book:
 Goodreads | Amazon  | The Book Depository | Chapters

Find the Author: 
Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Don't Just Take My Word For It:
The Eater of Books | Novel Heartbeat | The Young Folks

2 comments:

  1. I don't love hard core sci fi so I'm not sure this would be for me or not but I loved your review! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, I'm sorry you weren't able to connect with Ella! I really liked this book, but not so much Ella herself. More than that, I enjoyed the setting and the sci-fi elements. I thought the worldbuilding was brilliantly done.

    ReplyDelete