Saturday, March 31, 2012

Review - The Guardian of Isis by Monica Hughes

Goodreads Blurb:

Years have passed on Isis, but life has gone backward, not forward. Under their leader, Mark London, the settlers have abandoned the technological knowledge of their forefathers. Upper Isis is now a forbidden zone, and the history of the first inhabitants from Earth has been replaced by myth. But one inquiring young man yearns to know the truth, and soon he gets the chance to find it.

My Thoughts:

The Isis trilogy takes a turn for the dystopian in this installment. The Guardian of Isis is set two generations after the The Keeper of the Isis Light, so those that were children in the first book are now grandparents. However, things on Isis have gone astray, with the settlers abandoning technology completely and living in a complex system of hierarchy and taboo. A few characters from the first book reappear and the changes are remarkable.

I really enjoyed this book, more than the first in fact. I loved the main character Jody. I loved his insatiable curiosity and I'm pretty sure he is a genius! Not only is he smart and inventive, but he is very brave as well. However, Jody's curiosity gets him into trouble, as new ideas are frowned upon in the Isis society, especially by the President.

I really wish that this book was longer! It's a quick read at around 200 pages and I feel like it could have been fleshed out a little more. Or maybe I just loved the idea of this regressing society so much that I wanted more!

On the Cover:

I'm not super crazy about the cover, but I'm not a huge fan of impressionist art, so that's probably it. I like clean lines. But I do love the background colour!

Favourite Character:

Definitely Jody! He's so inventive and brave and all-around awesome!

Favourite Scene:

This one is tough. I think the scene in the Sacred Cave when Jody figures out how to restart the light. Like I said, he's a genius!

Rating: 4 Hearts

Source: I received this book as a gift from a family member.

Where to Find It: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment