Friday, December 12, 2014

Review: Emerald Green

Info:
Title: Emerald Green
Author: Kerstin Gier 
Translator: Anthea Bell
Series: Ruby Red Trilogy #3
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publication Date: October 8, 2013 (originally publised 2010)
Source: Purchased

Synopsis:
Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is.

She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along.

This stunning conclusion picks up where Sapphire Blue left off, reaching new heights of intrigue and romance as Gwen finally uncovers the secrets of the time-traveling society and learns her fate.

Review:
I really loved this series, so it's certainly bittersweet to see it end (that's probably why I put it off for over a year O_o). I'm not 100% sure why I loved this series so much, just that I did. On one hand, it seems like pretty standard YA fare, but on the other hand, there was just something so lovely and wonderful about it.

I think my love starts with Gwen. She is such a likable, relatable heroine. Sure once in a while the things she says or thinks can sound a little canned, but as a character, she has everything I love. Funny, smart and resourceful, especially considering she is way out of her depth most of the time. The secondary characters were also great, especially Lesley and Aunt Maddie, who both had me giggling. And Gideon. Well, I certainly didn't like him much at the start of the book and, well, I'll try to avoid spoilers.

Another aspect I loved was the fact that Gwen could see ghosts. That just added a fun element, as their personalities came through big time. Most of them, I just wanted to hug, although I certainly could have done without 'Darth Vader'.

There were certainly a few huge plot twists in this one that I didn't see coming, which I loved, since I enjoy being blindsided with these kind of things rather than guessing them chapters before. But somehow, as crazy as things got, the story somehow stayed light and fun.


This is definitely a series I fell in love with and am sad to see it end and to have to say goodbye to my friend Gwen. That said, I know I'll read anything by Kerstin Gier that is translated into English, specially by Anthea Bell, who did a great job I think in the translation. And I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Dream a Little Dream, which I can't wait to dive into next week!



Find the Book:
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository | Chapters
Find the Author:
 Goodreads | Website

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you were okay with how this ended and even loved it. That seems to be rare these days, especially with YA books. I think this is a series I should try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this one around and it seems like a really interesting story. I love the sound of the main character and I love character I can easily relate to. Also this story seems unpredictable which is great bonus. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete