Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: The Dream Thieves

Info:
Title: The Dream Thieves
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: September 17, 2013

Synopsis:

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...


Review:
After my many questions and general confusion at the end of The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves brought me some answers, along with more questions. Which is a good thing, since otherwise what would the next two books be about?

The Dream Thieves opens and closes with prose about secrets and we sure did get a few doozies along the way. Obviously I can't tell you what they are (no spoilers here!), but I can tell you that it will help you make sense of that very confusing final line of The Raven Boys.

The Dream Thieves focused a lot more on Ronan, who went from being my least favourite Raven Boy to my most favourite. Through the book I fell completely in love with him. Not in the I-want-to-marry-him-and-have-babies way. More in the way that I love tigers or violent thunderstorms. Amazing, beautiful and terrifying and you know if you get too close you will be destroyed, but you just can't stop watching. I'm not a bad-boy-girl, but it would seem Ronan is that VERY specific type of bad boy that I do love. The type that is very nearly a villain.

At the end of The Raven Boys, I had no clue what was going on with Adam. At the end of The Dream Thieves, I had a sliver of a clue what was going on with Adam. Adam was a mystery to me the entire book. We get a little bit of information, but not enough for me to have a clear idea of what is going on. Gansey was the same Gansey as the first book and Noah just made me want to give him a hug in nearly every scene. Blue was much the same, although she began to comes to terms with some things near the end that she'd really rather not. And Blue's family continued to be awesome. So awesome.

We get a couple of new characters in this book as well. The Gray Man was such an interesting character. Exactly the sort of professional I like. And Joseph Kavinsky. He made me feel all kinds of icky. He's sleazy and spoilt and I kind of wanted to shake him, but at the same time I wouldn't want to touch him.

Overall, The Dream Thieves had everything I loved about The Raven Boys, combined with a more satisfying ending. I am eagerly awaiting the remaining books as I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with the amazing world that Maggie Stiefvater has created.



Find the Book:

Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Find the Author: 

Goodreads | Web | Twitter | Facebook  

Don't Just Take My Word For It:

The Daily Prophecy

I am meeting Maggie tonight! Cue awkward fangirling!

1 comment:

  1. Well I am glad you got some answers and laughed when you also had more questions, I am so hoping to read these soon, you keep tempting me with these stellar reviews!

    ReplyDelete