Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Exiled Review

Exiled - M.R. Merrick

Goodreads Description:

Chase Williams is a demon hunter in the Circle, or at least he was supposed to be. On his fifteenth birthday, Chase stepped up to the altar to claim his elemental power, but it never came. Elemental magic is passed down to a hunter through the bloodline, but on Chase's birthday, the bloodline stopped.

Exiled without the Circle's protection, Chase has spent two years trying to survive a world riddled with half-demons and magic. When he has a run in with a frightened and seemingly innocent demon, he learns the Circle's agenda has changed: the Circle plans to unlock a portal and unleash pure-blood demons into the world. Vowing to stop them, and knowing he can't do it alone, Chase forms a reluctant alliance with Rayna — a sexy witch with an attitude and a secret.

In their attempt to stop them, Chase and Rayna find themselves in the middle of the Circle's plan, leaving one of them to decide what their friendship is worth, and the other's life depending on it


My Thoughts:

I picked up Exiled because of all the hype surrounding Shift. I though perhaps M.R. Merrick is just extremely good at P.R., but people seemed to genuinely love this series, so I thought I would give it a try. While M.R. Merrick may be a PR genius, he is also a talented author. Exiled was a very fun read! It was extremely fast paced with never a dull moment, but it was executed well. No confused faces or flipping back trying to figure out what was going on. Nope, overall I was very pleased with the story. Chase is a likable fellow and made an excellent main character: brave and loyal, even when his worldview starts to crumble. I also loved the strong female characters. Rayna is an awesome, kick-butt kind of girl and I loved her from the start. I also liked Tessa, Chase’s mom. She seems so kind and motherly, but when the time comes, she can kick butt with the best of them! And can I just say I love Willy. I just want to give him a big hug!

Overall, a great book I would recommend to anyone looking for an action-packed adventure complete with magic, demons, vampires and really awesome birds. 4 hearts from me! Now I just need to go buy Shift...

1 comment:

  1. Great review I've heard a lot of good things about this one. Plus high action books are always fun! >.<

    ReplyDelete