Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review - The Keeper of the Isis Light by Monica Hughes

Goodreads Blurb:

Olwen Pendennis is the Keeper of the Isis Light. She and her companion, Guardian, have lived alone on the planet Isis since the death of her parents. But then a group of colonists arrives on Isis from Earth, settling in the valleys – the only places where they can breathe and not be harmed by the planet’s harsh sun. Olwen fears these new inhabitants may ruin her world forever, and at first, it appears she is right.

My Thoughts:

I read this book when I was a preteen and remember enjoying it, but for some reason I never read the 3rd book of the trilogy and therefore decided to reread it. However, the second time around I liked it less. I still love Monica Hughes and her writing style, but this book's content didn't measure up to my remembrance/expectations. I was highly annoyed by the insta!love between Mark and Olwen. I can kind of understand it from Olwen, since she hadn't met a boy her age before, but it just seemed very unrealistic. If there had been more development of Mark and Olwen's relationship, I think I would have had no trouble with this book (scientific qualms aside).

Overall though, this is a fun, short sci-fi read from my favourite sci-fi writer, the late Monica Hughes. It touches on deeper themes such as prejudice, environmental stewardship and living a contented life, but I didn't feel like I was being lectured.

I'm on to the 2nd book now, the Guardian of Isis and am enjoying it as well.


Favourite Scene:

I love the scene at the start, where Olwen spend a content afternoon on top of the mesa. That sounds like the perfect way to spend a day and Hughes describes it beautifully.

Favourite Character:

Guardian. He's like a less-creepy Mary Poppins.

Rating: 3 Hearts


Find it Here: Goodreads | Amazon| The Book Depository

Source: Gift from a family member

No comments:

Post a Comment