Friday, October 12, 2012

Review: Demonglass

Info:

Title: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Publication Date: March 22, 2011

Blurb:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


My Thoughts:

Sophie Mercer is back and getting herself into even more trouble in the UK. Along with Jenna and Cal, Sophie has traveled to England to spend the summer with her demon dad. Unfortunately, trouble seems to follow Sophie wherever she goes and her summer vacation is no exception.

I enjoyed Demonglass; it had a very similar feel to Hex Hall.  Sophie was the same likeable character. Jenna annoyed me a bit in this one, but we got to find out a bit more about Cal, which was nice. And we finally get to meet Sophie's dad! But don't worry, there's still some Archer Cross action!

I found the plot of Demonglass to be more twisty than Hex Hall (which I foretold to a certain extent), so that was nice. I definitely didn't foresee the ending of this one. I'm excited to read Spellbound to see how things play out, as Hawkins left us with a lot of unanswered questions at the end of Demonglass.

Despite the plot twists at the end, I felt like Demonglass wasn't quite as fast-paced as Hex Hall. But I also didn't feel like there were as many dumb jokes, so I guess it's a trade-off. Overall, I'd recommend Demonglass if you enjoyed Hex Hall and I will definitely be following Sophie Mercer's future adventures!

On the Cover:

I like the covers in this series. However, I feel like the girl in the wedding dress gives the wrong idea about the book. And I still have no idea why there's a cat on the cover.

Rating: 4 Hearts


Source: Purchased.

Find the Book: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Find the Author: Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr

Don't Just Take My Word For It: Novel Heartbeat

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I'm always eager to hear how the sequels fare in reviews because I am much more inclined to spend the time reading something that I know I will enjoy all the way through the series. I hope you also like the third one!! I'm really loving the sound of this series from your reviews!

    ReplyDelete